Bariatric surgery is commonly referred to as weight loss surgery. Both of these terms encompass a variety of procedures, including gastric bypass, gastric sleeve, and more. With any of these procedures, special diets are required because the size of the stomach has been reduced. The hallmarks of these diets include portion control, low calorie, and high protein.
Bariatric meal delivery services make adhering to these diets much easier as they provide meals that cater to the essential aspects of the plan delivered directly to your door. Below we have outlined some of our favorites, with Baribox coming in as our top pick for bariatric meal delivery for its selection, affordable cost, and trained professionals. Others met our strict criteria as our runners-up. Let’s take a look.
Baribox is a meal delivery service that focuses on meals for pre and post-op weight loss surgery patients. Each meal is made to order from a rotating menu that offers plenty of variety. Though the meals are randomly assigned, you can add any allergens you want to avoid during the checkout process.
Some of their example meals include White Chicken Chili, Shepherd’s Pie, and Greek Yogurt Chicken Tacos. Here are some of the benefits to Baribox:
- Options for pre-op, post-op, dessert, and protein powders
- Designed by a registered bariatric dietician and crafted by trained chefs
- Order by the subscription or individual number of meals
- Calorically and nutritionally aligned with weight loss surgery needs
- Costs $9 per meal
Tiny Tummyz was born by two weight loss surgery patients who wanted to bring a portion-controlled bariatric meal delivery service to others. A sampling of their meals includes Lamb Ragout, Carrot & Pumpkin Soup, and Spanish Meatballs.
Other key benefits of Tiny Tummyz include:
- Proper ½ cup portion sizes based on bariatric dietitian and surgeon recommendations
- 21 or 35 meal packages for the fluid, puree, and soft food stages
- A maintenance and restart program for those who might need to get back to high protein
- Last 6 months in the freezer and ready in minutes with a microwave
- Plans start at $123 per week
The Pure Food Bariatric Pack is the perfect way to adhere to the pureed food diet after bariatric surgery. They use many proteins in this box, including Roast Lamb, Butter Chicken, and Hickory Pork. Here are some of the benefits of the Pure Food Bariatric Pack:
- Pre-portioned and already smooth pureed
- Ready in about 30 seconds in the microwave or can be heated in a pot
- Can use the purees as a soup base once your dietician allows
- Comes with 18 servings
- The box costs $72.00
A Bariatric surgeon founded BariLife to help his own weight loss surgery patients, but it has been passed on to help others. There are several meals and supplements that this meal delivery service provides, such as Chicken Alfredo, Cream of Broccoli Soup, and Vegetable Chili, all with extra protein to fit the weight loss surgery lifestyle.
Here are some of the key benefits of BariLife.
- Wide range of meals, snacks, drinks, desserts, and more
- Order value bundles, samplers, or individual products
- The rewards program and an auto-ship option for discounts and free shipping
- Bariatric friendly macronutrients (calories, protein, carbs, fats)
- Labels to tell you which weight loss surgery patients the meals are safe for
- Prices range depending on the product so it can fit any budget
AmBari Nutrition provides bariatric meals that are protein-packed. Some of their delicious meals include Cheesesteak Pasta, Creamy Chicken Pasta, and Sloppy Joe. Other key benefits of AmBari Nutrition include:
- Wide variety of high protein, low-calorie breakfasts, entrees, snacks, drinks, desserts, and more
- Filter on their website for bariatric approved products
- Family owned with more than 30 years of weight loss industry experience
- Multiple servings in every box
- Ready in the microwave in minutes
- Products range in pricing to fit any budget
Bariatric Meal Prep
Bariatric Meal Prep offers pre-planned meal prep guides for those going through the weight loss surgery process. They give you all the information you need to follow the weight loss surgery soft, pureed, and regular bariatric diet. Here are some of the key benefits to Bariatric Meal Prep:
- Plant-based option
- Bundle all three diets that you’ll need throughout the weight loss surgery process
- Easy to follow recipes with nutrition information and shopping lists
- Created by a registered dietician
- Plans are individually priced at $17, but the bundle costs $22
Bariatric Pal has products and meal plans that can help in your bariatric surgery journey. Some examples include Zesty Vegetable Chili with Beans, Maple Brown Sugar Oatmeal, and Tomato Soup. Here are some other great benefits of Bariatric Pal:
- Extensive selection of options for breakfast, lunch, snacks, and more
- Prepared meals, recipes, and sample meal plans
- Ships same business day
- Vegetarian options
- Detailed nutrition facts on all products
- Prices vary depending on the product and number in the package
Diet Direct offers support for various weight-loss diets, but they also have an extensive bariatric section. Some of their meals include Spicy Choose Pasta, Creamy Macaroni and Cheese, and Chicken & Vegetable Cream Soup. There are some key benefits to Diet Direct, such as:
- A wide selection of entrees, drinks, snacks, and desserts
- Portion controlled servings focused on low calorie, high protein offerings
- Reviews on every product so that you can make the best decision
- Low cholesterol and trans-fat free products
- Detailed nutrition information
- Prices vary depending on the product
Choosing a Bariatric Meal Delivery Service
There are several meal delivery services and products to help you in your weight loss surgery journey. Here are some factors to consider while choosing the best for you.
Pureed or Soft Foods
Pureed or soft food diets are a common request of bariatric surgeons. Many of these bariatric meal delivery services offer both options, but if your doctor has requested one or the other, you’ll want to ensure that the meal plan you choose includes options for you.
Meeting Protein Goals
On a bariatric diet, meeting protein goals is a vital metric for success. High protein meals are the core of a diet leading up to and after weight loss surgery. The benefit to choosing a bariatric meal delivery service is that the meals are focused on high protein for sanitation and meeting protein goals.
Portion control is another key to success in weight loss, especially with weight loss surgery. Ensure that the bariatric meal delivery service you choose includes proper portions recommended for weight loss surgery patients. It can be hard to eat the proper portions, so it is crucial that your meals are already in the proper portion sizes.
One of the things that make people fail when it comes to weight loss surgery is the lack of variety in meals. You want to ensure that whichever bariatric meal delivery service you choose has a lot of options so that you can switch it up when things get hard.
If you are having or have had weight loss surgery, then bariatric meal delivery can be a helpful tool to control portions, meet protein goals, and adhere to surgeon-recommended diets. These bariatric meal delivery services are all great options, but be sure to consider the factors mentioned in our buying guide. Good luck on your journey!