Protein is one of the major macronutrients that the body needs. It is involved in many processes throughout the body, including building and maintaining muscle. High-protein diets are common among those who want to feel satiated, lose weight, build muscle, or eat healthier. Meal delivery services make eating a high protein diet much easier by having the food delivered directly to your door.
When choosing a high-protein meal delivery service, there are several considerations, including quality of protein sources, meal options, affordability, and more. We have considered these factors and have researched for you to find the best meal delivery services for your high-protein lifestyle.
Our top pick is Paleo on the Go for its convenience, options, and high-protein focus. However, we have also found two runners-up, including Trifecta, which has the cleanest protein sources, and Meal Pro, which is a great overall runner-up.
Four other companies also made our list by living up to our strict qualifications. Let’s take a look at all of the best meal delivery companies that specialize in high-protein options.
Paleo on the Go provides high-quality prepared paleo and autoimmune protocol meals delivered directly to you. The autoimmune protocol omits high inflammatory foods from the diet. Paleo is a diet in which you eat foods free of grains, refined sugars, and processed foods.
Though it seems like a lot of elimination, there are still plenty of delicious meals that Paleo on the Go has come up with, such as Turkey Tetrazzini, Smoked Salmon Breakfast Bowls, and Homemade Chicken Pot Pie. It is our top overall winner for the number of options and customization, but here are some of the other key benefits:
- Chef curated real food meals by the individual meal, meal bundles, or subscription
- Food is prepared in a commercial kitchen that is gluten, grain, nut, and dairy-free.
- Frozen prepared meals delivered in recyclable, insulated packaging to keep the highest amount of nutrients
- Breakfast, lunch, dinner, snack, dessert, bakery, and family-sized options
- Rewards program to earn discounts
- Various pricing options, but the minimum order is $99 plus shipping
Take control of your high protein diet with Trifecta Nutrition. They prepare fresh meals, including dishes such as Chicken Pesto Pasta, Salmon and Wild Rice, or Crispy Tofu Skillet. Trifecta also allows you to build your own nutritionally balanced meals by choosing your own protein, vegetables, and carbs from their selections. Other benefits of Trifecta Nutrition include:
- Organic eggs and produce, wild-caught seafood, and humanely raised proteins
- Science-backed, chef-curated menus
- A focus on low sugar, salt, and saturated fat that are GMO and gluten-free
- Sustainable ingredients, supply chain, and packaging
- Meal plan options include Paleo, Clean, Keto, Vegan, or Vegetarian
- Meals start at $6.00 per meal
Customize your portion sizes, ingredients, and more on healthy high protein meals with Meal Pro. They have delicious meal options such as Garlic Chicken, Steak Fajitas, and Crab Cakes. Some of their other key benefits include:
- Choose extra protein, no carbs, extra veggies, and more
- Made with fresh produce and lean protein
- Prepared meals delivered fresh with dry ice
- Rewards program to save money
- Subscribe or order a la carte
- Meals starting at under $10
Icon Meals offers a selection of high-protein meals, snacks, bars, and other healthy meals. Skip the meal planning and order everything you need to eat with Icon Meals. A few of their offerings include Beef Medallions, Chicken Parmesan, and Chili Brisket Pizza. Here are some key benefits of Icon Meals:
- Custom meals where you can pick a lean protein and two sides from a variety of options
- Many extras such as protein popcorn, protein coffee, seasonings, and Wagyu bars
- Order meal boxes from their weekly signature menu or a la carte
- Gluten-free meals and allergen labeling
- HACCP Certified Kitchen that is inspected daily by the state
- Icon Meals cost between $11-$16 per meal
No need to eat bland diet food any longer. Pete’s Paleo brings healthy food that is delicious directly to your doorstep. Eat meals such as Tandoori Chicken, Sesame Beef, and Chimichurri Beef Pie with Pete’s Paleo. Some key benefits to their meal delivery include:
- Always gluten, soy, and dairy-free
- All ingredients are organically grown, pastured, grass-fed, natural, and sustainably raised where applicable
- Chef prepared meals with seasonal ingredients
- Weekly changing menus with sold by various bundles with some extras available like Pete’s Paleo bacon
- Each meal comes with nutrition information so you can see how much protein it has
- Pricing starting as low as $79.95 for 5 meals
Ice Age Meals
Ice Age Meals combines high-quality protein with complex carbs, and healthy vegetables delivered frozen to your door. Some of their meal options include Elk Meatballs, Smoked Pork Belly, and Grass Feed Barbacoa. Other key benefits include:
- Over 40 meal options to choose from
- Three meal categories: paleo, paleo with rice, and keto
- Build a box, get a sampler, or extras like snacks, spices, and sauces
- Free of refined grains, gluten, dairy, added sugar, or preservatives
- Price varies by the meal between $11-$17 per meal
Meal Delivery Services Buying Guide
There are multiple high protein, healthy meal delivery companies. Here are some things to consider when choosing the best one for you.
Protein Sources – Wild Caught, Grass-Fed
With high protein meal plans, the quality of the protein sources is important. Lean proteins are the best, but those with added hormones and antibiotics are bad for the body. When selecting a high protein meal prep, look for high-quality protein sources labeled with names like wild-caught for seafood, grass-fed beef and lamb, and pasture-raised for chicken and pork. You’ll also want to select meal plans with hormone and antibiotic-free meats.
Meal Plan Options
Everyone has different needs for how many meals they need per week. Many of these companies offer a la carte options and a variety of weekly subscriptions. If you only need a few meals per week, the a la carte might be the best, whereas a subscription that includes all of your meals is best for those that don’t want to cook at all! Make your choice with this consideration in mind.
Frozen Vs. Fresh
There are two ways that meals get delivered to your house- frozen or fresh. Both have their own benefits and disadvantages. Fresh meals go in the fridge and take less time to cook but expire quicker. Frozen meals lock in nutrients and last longer since they go in the freezer but take more time to make. Which is best is up to you!
Many of these delivery options offer a lot of customization. Customization can be good for those with dietary restrictions or on a low-carb diet, for instance. If you want food customizable to your lifestyle, a customizable option is the best for you.
Go with High Protein Meal Prep
No matter your goals with a high protein diet, meal delivery services are there to make the process easy. These are our top choices because of their attention to quality protein sources, dietary restrictions, and fresh ingredients. Go with a high-protein meal prep service to meet your goals!