In a bustling city like Washington, D.C, many of the residents are on the go. The restaurant industry in DC is vast, and many of them offer food delivery services. However, it can get expensive and be not so great for your waistline. A meal prep delivery service is a great way to eat healthy for a reasonable price compared to traditional takeout.
When choosing a meal delivery company, some of the important aspects to look at include attention to dietary considerations, price, quality, taste, and customization. We have scoured the healthy meal services in Washington, D.C, with these aspects in mind.
From our findings, we have crowned Territory Foods the overall winner of the best meal delivery services in Washington D.C. Six other companies have met our strict requirements as well. Let’s take a look.
Territory Foods offers a variety of dietician-designed meals, prepared by professional chefs. Some of these delicious meals include Dijon Pulled Pork with Carrot Bacon Salad and Roasted Apples, Hawaiian Style Turkey Meatloaf with Tropical Salad, and Lamb Ragout over Quinoa Pilaf and Roasted Veggies. A few key benefits of Territory Foods includes:
- Weekly rotating menu with over 50 prepared meals
- Dairy free and gluten free with no refined sugars
- Delivered once or twice weekly for freshness
- Recyclable and compostable packaging
- Keto, paleo, mixitarian, plant-based, vegan, vegetarian, whole30, low carb, mediterraean diet, and low-fat meal plan options available
- As low as $8.70 per meal
My Cuistot brings healthy fresh meals to your door to save you time and energy. A sampling of their menu includes dishes such as Sauteed Beef with Dijon Mustard, Spicy Roasted Chicken, and Falafel with Couscous. A few key benefits of My Cuistot include:
- 15 new healthy options to choose from every week
- Gluten-free, low carb, and vegetarian selections
- Free of artificial preservatives, preservatives, artificial ingredients, and hydrogenated oils
- Chef prepared the same day it is delivered
- Custom meal plan option
- Starts as low as $15.39 per serving
Foodhini has taken a different approach to prepared meal delivery. They are using this service to create jobs and economic mobility for immigrant and refugee communities. Meals at Foodhini are prepared by home-taught emerging chefs from around the world, each bringing the flavor of their culture.
Each chef has separate menus, but a few of the dishes you can expect include Mitmita Spiced Fried Chicken, Chef Mam’s Lao Summer Salad with Sesame Seed Dressing, and Afghan Koofteh with Basmati Rice. Here are some other great benefits of Foodhini:
- Order Taste Kits which are their version of meal kits or prepared meals
- Delivered same day if ordered by 2 pm
- Specialty menus like Halal, Vegetarian, Vegan, Keto, and Gluten-free to help you eat healthy
- Menus change weekly
- Make dietary changes to the dishes if you order 36 hours in advance
- Prices vary but start at around $7.45
Mighty Meals is a meal prep delivery service in Washington D.C prepared by chefs and delivered to your doorstep. A few of their many menu items include Roasted Chicken Florentine, Pork Al Pastor Bowl, and Salmon A La Vodka. There are a few great benefits to Mighty Meals, such as:
- Over 100 menu items with breakfast, lunch, and dinner options
- Under 500 calorie, gluten-free, vegetarian options, and low carb selections
- Military, first responders, and frontline medical staff discount
- Most ingredients sourced locally
- Meals delivered fresh, lasting 6 days or 3 weeks if you freeze them yourself
- Pricing varies but averages between $11-$12
Healthy Fresh Meals
Healthy Fresh Meals focuses on a variety of diets to deliver healthy meals no matter your preferences. Their menu selections include Arizona Grilled Chicken Melt, Bison Sliders, and Sirloin Steak Italiano. Other key benefits of Healthy Fresh Meals include:
- Traditional, keto, paleo, vegan, lean and mean, and a la carte options are available
- Over 500 unique new recipes on the menu
- Created by a 5-star gourmet chef
- Farm to table focused ingredients
- Meals come in microwave-safe, recyclable containers
- As low as $9.99 per meal
Vegetable and Butcher
Vegetable and Butcher is an alternative to marginally healthy mediocre food and unsustainable diets. They offer two boxes- the Vegetable’s Basket and the Butcher’s Box, which work together or independently to satisfy both vegan and omnivore preferences.
They are bringing the flavor when it comes to healthy foods with dishes such as Creally Zuppa Toscana, BBQ Spiced Carrots w/ Horseradish Yogurt, and Harissa Black Bean Ragout. Some other key benefits include:
- The entire menu is gluten and dairy-free, with no refined sugars or artificial ingredients
- Seasonal menus that rotate every week using local ingredients
- Breakfast, lunch, and dinner options each week
- Compostable and biodegradable packaging and low food waste
- Fine dining chef-designed and nutritionist-approved
- Starting at $11.00 per meal
Dinners at Your Door
Dinners at Your Door is a way to get healthy meals delivered to your doorstep. They are just as delicious, if not more delicious, if you would have made them at home. Dishes on their menu include things like Pork Chops with a Mushroom and Cream Sauce, Mexican Chipotle Beef Stuffed Peppers, and Cajun Shrimp and Grits. Some great benefits of Dinners at Your Door include:
- Prepared and delivered on the same day
- Fresh, organic, local ingredients
- High protein low carb, salad, soup, vegetarian, a dessert options
- The menu regularly changes, so you don’t get bored
- Can be reheated in the microwave or the oven
- Pricing varies widely, but average meals are between $12-$15
Buyers Guide to Meal Delivery Services in Washington D.C
With so many choices, it can be hard to choose the best for you. Here are some things you should consider in your selection.
We all have different diet preferences. Maybe it’s an allergy or maybe just an aversion, but either way, you will always want to make sure that the healthy meal delivery company you choose has delicious options for you.
Healthy Fresh Meals, Foodhini, and Territory Foods all do a great job of providing selections for a variety of diets.
Meal delivery is an affordable way to eat healthily. Though each of these companies has different pricing, you can usually find options that will fit into your budget.
Also, keep in mind that sometimes the more you order, the less expensive it becomes. Healthy Fresh Meals and Territory Foods might be the best choice if you are on a tighter budget.
Customization is important because we all have different schedules and tastes. Many services offer custom changes to the number of meals, the delivery times, choice of meals, and more, but if you are looking for full customization, My Cuistot has a great option.
Healthy eating is only successful when you are not eating the same thing all the time. Having a good menu variety is critical to getting great healthy meals delivered. These companies do a great job at keeping variety with large menus or menus that rotate often.
Get Healthy Meals Delivered in Washington DC
No matter which of these meal delivery services you choose, it will be a great choice. Get healthy meals delivered in Washington DC as an affordable and easy alternative to traditional food delivery service.
Which food delivery service is best in DC?
Territory Foods is the best food delivery service in DC.
Does Freshly deliver to DC?
Yes, Freshly is nationwide and does deliver to DC.