Subscriptions requiring a certain number of meals per week or a recurring meal plan with four meals or a two-person box are old news. Consider a meal delivery company that doesn’t require at least two meals every week or any commitment at all. No subscription meal delivery is the way to go. These contribute to less food waste than other meal kits, too.
We researched these seven best no-subscription meal companies and ranked them based on taste, variety, dietary considerations, and price, among other factors.
Our overall winner was MealPro, with an extensive selection, dietary accommodations, and affordable prices. Top Chef Meals won best for variety, while Paleo on the Go was the best for those following the Paleo diet. Four others made our list, so let’s dive in.
MealPro is an a-la-carte-focused meal delivery service, though they have the option to opt-in for a recurring order. MealPro is our choice for the overall winner as they have paid attention to the details. Expect dishes such as a Cheddar Bacon Burger, BBQ Chicken, and Crab Cakes.
- Prepared meals for high protein, low carb, keto, and bodybuilding
- Cater to medically required diets such as diabetic, low-sodium, renal-friendly, heart-healthy, low-cholesterol, GI-friendly, anti-inflammatory, or custom diet
- Focus on all-natural, non-GMO ingredients which are prepared to optimize nutrition
- No refined sugars, artificial preservatives, or excess sodium
- Ships to the U.S. and parts of Canada in recyclable packaging
- Meals start at $9.99 per serving; shipping is variable based on location.
Top Chef Meals
Top Chef Meals offers subscription-free customizable, and special-diet curated prepared meals delivered to your door. Top Chef Meals is our choice for the best variety because there are endless combinations. Menu selections include Asian Sesame Salmon, Dry Rub Baby Back Ribs, and Filet Mignon.
- Completely customizable menu with options for several dietary restrictions
- Cooked to order, then flash-frozen to maintain nutrients and freshness.
- Seasonal, locally sourced produce and no antibiotics or hormones in the proteins
- Never any preservatives and always low-sodium
- Shipped in reusable or recyclable packing to the contiguous U.S.
- Meals range from under $5 to just over $15; shipping depends on zip code.
Paleo on the Go
BEST PALEO NO SUBSCRIPTION MEALS
Paleo on the Go is a meal delivery company that offers one-time purchases or highly flexible subscription services. Their Autoimmune Protocol and Paleo diet-compliant ready-to-eat meals are chef-created and made with whole food ingredients. Expect dishes such as Coq Au Vin with Japanese White Sweet Potato and Moo Shu Pork Tacos.
- AIP and Paleo-compliant meals plus a seasonal menu, empanadas, breakfasts, sauces in bulk, & bakery items
- Humanely-raised & sustainable proteins and organic ‘dirty dozen’ produce, plus transparent sourcing info on the website.
- Meals are good for five days refrigerated or six months when frozen.
- Ready in minutes with just a microwave
- Ships to the USA, including HI and AK, in insulated and recyclable packaging
- Servings start at just over $10 with an added discount for those who subscribe.
Splendid Spoon On Demand Box
Splendid Spoon has an excellent subscription option, though the on-demand box gives you ready-to-eat meals when you need them and are our choice for the best meal delivery service for vegans. Try delicious healthy meal selections like Green Curry Noodles and Butternut Turmeric Soup.
- 65+ vegan/vegetarian meals to choose from for any time of day
- Meal options for a variety of dietary needs
- Gluten-free and GMO-free with no preservatives
- Mostly organic ingredients
- 2-day free shipping to the continental U.S. in 100% recyclable packaging
- As low as under $8 per serving
Icon Meals offers clean, prepared meals delivered to your doorstep. There is no subscription required, though you do receive a 5% discount. Find menu selections such as Chipotle Beefy Mac & Cheese, Diablo Shrimp, or Peanut Butter Protein Pancakes.
- A weekly rotating menu of 35+ ready-to-eat meals, including gluten-free options
- Ability to build custom meals from 20+ bulk proteins, veggies, and carbs
- Selections for dietary restrictions plus custom meals, bulk items, and snacks
- Can be frozen for extended freshness
- Ships to the contiguous U.S. with variable shipping costs
- Pricing starts at just under $11 per serving.
Eat Flavorly delivers delicious scratch-made meals that are ready in minutes without a subscription. Their menu includes Banana Bread French Toast, Crawfish Etouffee, and Chicken Fried Steak.
- Several chef-crafted bold breakfasts and entrees to choose from
- Options for gluten-free, dairy-free, vegetarian, carb-conscious, or a low-calorie diet
- Microwave, stovetop, or oven-ready meals
- Prepared meals shipped vacuum sealed & frozen to the Southern U.S. for $10.50 in recyclable and BPA-free packaging.
- Entrees start at $10.95 with bundle discounts.
Silver Cuisine is a senior-focused meal subscription under the BistroMD brand. They offer subscription-free home-delivered meals such as Mushroom & Onion Frittata, Southwest Bison Meatloaf, and Barramundi Seabass with Rice and Green Beans.
- Wide variety of chef-crafted prepared meals and snacks
- Options for special diets like gluten-free, heart-healthy, menopause, vegetarian, and more
- Physician-approved nutrition
- Shipped frozen to the continental U.S. for $19.95 in sustainable packaging
- Meals start at $7.99 for lunches or dinners.
No Subscription/A La Carte Meal Delivery Services Buyers Guide
Several of the best meal delivery services without a subscription requirement offer selections for those with dietary considerations. However, you’ll want to ensure the company you go with has plenty of choices for your specific dietary needs.
When it comes to both meal kits and prepared meals, quality matters; of course, fresh ingredients are always a must, but it may also be important to you that the meals are made without preservatives or GMOs. There are several levels to quality, so always check the values of any potential meal service.
Whether you are on a tight budget or have a bit of money to spend, the pricing of a meal delivery service is an essential deciding factor. Look at the per-serving price, and don’t forget to include shipping costs to see what fits within your budget.
Meal Kits vs. Prepared Meals
Though each of the meal delivery services featured on this list is a prepared meal delivery service, it’s still good to know the difference between a meal kit service and a prepared meal service.
Meal kit services do grocery shopping and provide easy-to-follow recipes, but they require cooking. Pre-made meals just require heating. If you enjoy cooking, meal kits are fantastic for skipping meal planning. Though for easy meals, prepared meal delivery is the way to go.
Fresh vs. Frozen Meals
As you may have noticed, some prepared meals are delivered frozen, while others are delivered fresh. Both fresh meal delivery services and frozen meal delivery services will get you healthy meals. There’s a difference. Fresh meals heat quickly but expire faster. Frozen meals last longer but heat up slower.
All of our top choices ended up being prepared meal delivery services, with MealPro being the top choice. We love that the delicious meals require no meal prep. Plus, the variety and pricing are on point. Honestly, we struggled to find meal kits that don’t require a commitment, but many do offer a trial period where you can cancel if you’re not impressed.
Try one of these no-commitment meal services today and start simplifying meal time!