Best Prepared Vegan Meals
Most Sustainable Vegan Meal Kit
Meal delivery services are a great way to get healthy food on the table each night. They take a lot of the work out of creating a weekly meal plan and can even save you money! Meal delivery services cater to all sorts of dietary restrictions and preferences. In fact, today, we are going to look at the best vegan meal delivery Canada offers.
In our research, we chose companies based on quality, taste, price, variety, sustainability, and other major factors.
Though six delivery services made the cut, our overall winners are Plant Prepped and Athlete’s Kitchen, both of which are going the extra mile for vegans in Canada. Athlete’s Kitchen provides pre-made meals that are also gluten-free and soy-free, while Plant Prepped offers entirely plant-based meal kits.
Take a look at an overview of the best options for vegan meal delivery in Canada, plus a buyer’s guide to pick the right one for you!
BEST VEGAN MEAL KIT
Plant Prepped is an entirely plant-based meal delivery company offering vegan meal kits with delicious, easy-to-follow recipes.
Their vegan meal boxes come with pre-portioned ingredients, so you can skip the grocery shopping and simply follow the included recipe cards.
Though they have a weekly rotating menu, you can expect dishes such as Samosa Quesadillas with Green Chutney and Sauteed Yu Choy, Crispy Avocado Bowls with Black Bean Rice, Homemade Tortilla Chips, and Creamy Coleslaw, or Asian Noodle Salad with Vegan Chicken and Fried Peanuts.
Plant Prepped offers gluten-free options and soy-free options without animal products on most of their weekly menus as well. A few of the other great benefits of Plant Prepped include:
- Plant Prepped has two vegan meal plans, one for two people and one for four people, which come with three vegan recipes per week that you choose from the weekly menu.
- The fresh ingredients are sourced from local farms and artisans.
- The vegan meal box is shipped in sustainable packaging, and the bottles are BPA, BHT, latex, sulfur, and silicone free.
- Plant Prepped delivers to most of Ontario and Quebec, and all shipping is free.
- The weekly meal plans begin at $12.08 per serving or $80.99 per week.
BEST-PREPARED VEGAN MEALS
Athlete’s Kitchen is a meal delivery service offering several meal plans, including one featuring plant-based meals.
Not only do their pre-made vegan meals exclude meat, but they also exclude gluten, soy, and dairy.
Instead, they use soy-free meat alternatives for their vegan options. This makes Athlete’s Kitchen a top choice to accommodate allergies.
Athlete’s Kitchen’s ready to heat & eat meals include choices such as Oven Baked Falafel, Korean Kimchi Bowl, and Pesto Cream Pasta.
There are several other benefits of Athlete’s Kitchen as well, such as:
- Breakfast, lunch, and snacks are available in an a la carte format with a minimum order of 6 meals per delivery period.
- Athlete’s Kitchen uses locally sourced, fresh, organic ingredients wherever possible.
- No dyes, hydrogenated oils, soy, lactose, preservatives, or processed sugars in any of their meals.
- Meals are shipped fresh and can be warmed using the stovetop or microwave.
- Shipping costs depend on your location and are available in the greater Toronto area.
- The price per serving varies depending on the meal but is typically between $14.95-$25.95.
MOST SUSTAINABLE VEGAN MEAL KIT
Crisper is a Toronto-based company that offers meal kits for vegans with a zero-waste philosophy.
Those looking for vegetarian meal kits will also love Crisper as the recipes are chef-curated meals that are so delicious even meat-eaters rave about them.
Choose from plant-based meals such as the Eggplant Parm Sandwich, Creamy Caramelized Mushroom Pasta, or Zucchini Lasagna. A few of the other great benefits of Crisper include the following:
- Five plant-based recipes with easy preparation to choose from each week with the ability to add on things like coffee, oats, and bagels for an extra cost.
- Get a weekly subscription or order a meal kit with a one-time purchase.
- Crisper offers plans for 2 or 4 people with a minimum of two recipes per week and a maximum of 5 recipes per week.
- Delivered in an insulated bin to stay fresh for up to 12 hours and in reusable containers that get retrieved on the next delivery date.
- Their vegan meal kits start at $59 per week for two recipes that serve two people.
LiveFitFood is a prepared meal delivery company offering a tasty selection of vegan meals delivered to your door that are ready to heat and eat.
LiveFitFood’s vegan meals are prepared daily by their in-house chefs. You can try options such as the Fable Korean Bibimbap Bowl, Sweet Potato Chili, or Fable Caribbean Jerk BBQ Bowl.
They also offer options for gluten-free and vegetarian dietary requirements, among others.
A few benefits of LiveFitFood include the following:
- Order meals a la carte and add on extra LiveFit Foods from their grocery section, including beverages, snacks, pantry staples, household items, and even pet food.
- Meals are shipped fresh in freezer, microwave, and oven-safe containers to save you time doing dishes.
- Eco-friendly packaging and a zero-waste food cycle utilizing worms to break down food scraps.
- Save on shipping with larger orders, though shipping costs start at $7.95 and depend on your location.
- Vegan meals begin at $8.99 per serving but average around $13.99 per serving.
Rather than a vegan meal kit or a vegan meal prep service, PlantX is an alternative to vegan meal delivery kits that still saves you time and money to make a delicious meal on a vegan or vegetarian diet.
PlantX is an online grocery store specializing in vegan food products. However, they do have instant meals that require very little cooking time and options to save time and make food prep easier.
Here are the key benefits of using PlantX for those following a vegan diet.
- Get everything you need in one place, from meat and dairy alternatives to pantry staples, pet supplies, supplements, and more.
- All products are 100% plant-based, making them an excellent option for vegetarian meals and vegan meals alike.
- Choose between a one-time purchase or a discounted subscription program where you can cancel the subscription anytime.
- Save money with an XVIP membership which comes with a 5% discount, exclusive promotions, and free shipping.
- See nutrition information and ingredient lists on every product.
- Pricing varies but is quite comparable to brick-and-mortar grocery stores.
Hello Fresh is a popular meal kit delivery service in both the United States and Canada.
Though they do not offer a strictly vegan plan, many of the vegetarian meal kits can be adjusted slightly to accommodate a vegan diet.
For instance, on the menu this week is a Spiced Chickpea and Spinach Stew that would be a vegan-friendly option if you left out the bocconcini cheese.
There are some benefits of Hello Fresh that might make the slightly complicated logistics worth it, including:
- Hello Fresh offers wide availability as they deliver to about 95% of Canada.
- The packaging is sustainable, with the majority of the packaging and shipping materials being recyclable or reusable.
- The ingredient quality is always excellent.
- Many of the recipes are highly customizable, and you can get up to five recipes per week to serve up to four people.
- Hello Fresh is very affordable, starting at under $8 per serving.
There are several vegan meal delivery services in Canada to choose from, each with its own unique offerings. To help you decide which is best for you and your family, here are some things you should consider before you buy.
Subscriptions vs. A La Carte
Vegan meal kit companies and vegan meal delivery services, in general, are often offered in two main ordering formats– subscriptions and a la carte.
With subscriptions, meal planning is done for you, and your selected vegan plan shows up on your doorstep each week. A la carte setups allow you to order what you want when you want but frequently require a minimum order.
Subscriptions are more common with vegan meal kits, and a la carte ordering is more common with pre-made meals, though Crisper in Toronto does offer a one-time purchase vegan meal kit option.
Meal Kit vs. Prepared Meals vs. Grocery Store-Style
In this list, we have covered three different styles of vegan meal delivery services – meal kits, ready-to-heat-and-eat meals, and a vegan grocery delivery option. Each of these offers vegan options but comes with its own benefits and disadvantages.
Vegan Meal Kits
Meal kits are the most flexible meal plan option as you get fresh ingredients and recipe cards delivered to your door, where you can then add or omit ingredients in the meals as you wish.
The downside is that you still have to prepare the vegan recipes, so even though you save time with meal planning and shopping, there is still cooking and cleaning to do.
Ready-To-Eat Vegan Meals
Plant-based ready-to-eat meals take the shopping, cooking, and cleaning out of the equation, but you still have to create a meal plan with the vegan options they have available.
Another positive is that you can simply throw extra meals into the freezer and reheat them at a later date if needed.
Plant-Based Grocery Delivery
Grocery delivery is relatively new when it comes to the meal delivery service industry, though they offer an excellent alternative for those who do not have a grocery store that caters to a vegan diet.
Many brick-and-mortar stores do not carry vegan food for other specific dietary restrictions like nut-free options or soy-free products.
Gluten-free, soy-free options and the like are much easier to find with vegan grocery delivery services like PlantX. However, you do still have to create your own meal plans, handle the meal prep, cook, and clean.
Building off of the previous consideration, as you can see, vegan meal delivery services all require a different level of preparation, with plant-based grocery delivery requiring the most preparation, ready-to-eat meals requiring the least, and vegan meal kits falling somewhere in the middle.
If you still want to cook but want everything laid out for you, a meal kit is a way to go. For those that want to just press a button on the microwave, ready-to-heat-and-eat vegan meals are the best choice.
For home chefs who follow a vegan diet that also likes to flex their culinary creativity, opting for plant-based grocery delivery could be the best option.
Meal Variety & Taste
Whether you follow a vegan diet, want vegetarian meals, or just want to follow a more plant-based meal plan, meal variety and taste are important. After all, a vegan meal delivery service is a waste of money if you are bored and don’t enjoy the food.
Vegan meal plans with a rotating weekly menu, like meal kits from Plant Prepped, are excellent to get variety, while chef-prepared dishes like those offered by Athlete’s Kitchen are raved about for their taste.
A meal kit is also a good option for ensuring you like the taste since you can remix the recipes to your personal preferences.
Unfortunately, we all have a budget. Though vegan meal delivery services can save time and save money, they have to fit within your budget.
Many are very affordable, like LiveFitFood, which starts at just $8.99 per serving, but plant-based grocery delivery is another way to fit a vegan meal plan into the budget since you can control what you buy and prepare.
What is the best plant-based meal delivery in Canada?
The best plant-based meal delivery in Canada is Athlete’s Kitchen for ready-to-eat meals and Plant-Prepped for vegan meal kits, though since both of these companies have limited delivery areas, LiveFitFood is an excellent option for those in other areas.
Is there a vegan version of HelloFresh?
Purple Carrot is a vegan, plant-based version of HelloFresh offering vegan meal kits with recipe cards that you can prepare at home. However, Purple Carrot is not available in Canada.
What is the best meal delivery for vegetarians in Canada?
The best meal delivery for vegetarians in Canada is LiveFitFood, as they have an entire section of vegetarian meals, though if you are looking for vegetarian meal kits, Hello Fresh is a top choice. However, vegan meal kits, like Plant Prepped, are a good choice as well.
What is the healthiest vegan meal delivery service?
Athlete’s Kitchen is the healthiest vegan meal delivery as they are also gluten-free, provide soy-free options, and utilizes locally-sourced, organic ingredients as much as possible in its food.
- Plant Prepped, Athlete’s Kitchen, and Crisper all made it to the top of our list for vegan meals delivered.
- Choose prepared meals or meal kits based on your lifestyle and preferences
- Consider additional dietary needs, such as allergies, when choosing a meal delivery service
- Some meal companies are limited in their delivery area, while others, like LiveFitFood, deliver to more of Canada