Best for Families
Looking for vegetarian frozen meal delivery? You’ve come to the right place. We have scoured the options and have found the best options for you.
In our efforts, we looked at how each company stacked up in terms of taste, menu variety, price, quality of ingredients, and dietary restriction accommodations.
Splendid Spoon was our overall winner checking off all the boxes in every category. Mosaic Foods was awarded our title of best for families due to their oven-ready, family-style meals even picky kids will love.
Finally, coming in at the number one spot for taste was Factor Meals. Factor Meals delivers meals that you would swear are restaurant takeout but, of course, is far healthier.
Four other vegetarian meal services passed our strict evaluation, including one offering meal kits! We’ll also throw in a bonus option that is another great choice for families. Let’s dive in!
Splendid Spoon is technically a vegan meal delivery service. However, Splendid Spoon is our overall winner for frozen vegetarian meal delivery services as their plant-based meals are delectable, they offer a wide menu variety, the ingredients are clean, they are committed to sustainability, and it’s affordable.
Though Splendid Spoon is traditionally a subscription service, their on-demand boxes allow you to customize your meal delivery to your schedule and lifestyle even more.
When it comes to vegan meal delivery services, Splendid Spoon isn’t bland or boring like some of the competition. You can expect flavorful selections such as a Cacao Almond Smoothie, Tomato Quinoa Chili Soup, and Tangy Ginger Noodles.
They have smoothies, noodle bowls, grain bowls, soups, and comfort dishes, all made with fresh food. Splendid Spoon also has wellness shots for extra immunity, digestion, and more.
Other key benefits of Splendid Spoon include the following–
- On-demand boxes or weekly subscriptions with a choice of 65+ meals and new ones offered seasonally.
- All offerings are dairy-free, preservative-free, gluten-free, plant-based, and non-GMO
- Options for dietary needs like high protein, high fiber, lower carb, lower fat, lower calorie, and more
- Mostly organic ingredients
- Free 2-day shipping in 100% recyclable and BPA-free packaging
- Starts at under $8 per serving
BEST FOR FAMILIES
Mosaic Foods is another meal service offering both vegan and vegetarian options. It’s our top choice for families due to its hand-crafted, ready-to-heat-and-eat, healthy family meals.
In every one of their family meals, Mosaic ensures there are more than four fresh vegetables and that the whole family will enjoy them. On the menu, you’ll find delicious meals such as Veggie Pot Pie, Broccoli Cheddar Mac, and BBQ “Meatloaf” with Sweet Potato Mash.
Mosaic also has single-serving meals, including oat bowls, veggie bowls, pizzas, and soups like Pozole Verde, Veggie Kebab Platter, and the Jerk Lentil & Plantains.
Their Mosaic+ meals are also fun with flavorful recipes crafted by NYC’s top chefs, like the North African Veggies and Couscous made by Einat Admony.
Below are additional key highlights of Mosaic, a vegan and vegetarian meal delivery service perfect for families.
- Frozen meals for vegan and vegetarian diets in single or family servings
- Chef-crafted recipes and mindfully sourced ingredients from around the Hudson Valley in New York
- Fighting food waste and hunger while donating 2 pounds of fresh produce for every Mosaic box sold
- Never any artificial ingredients, preservatives, or fillers
- Fast shipping in 100% recyclable packaging; free for orders over $100 or a flat rate of $7.99
- Nutritious meals start at just $5 per serving
Factor Meals (Factor 75)
Factor Meals, or Factor 75, isn’t a dedicated vegetarian meal delivery service, but they do offer two to five healthy vegetarian meals per week on their rotating weekly menu. Some of their vegetarian selections also double as vegan meals with no animal products, too.
Factor Meals is our winner for the best tasting because their vegetarian recipes are unique, packed with spices, and warm up perfectly.
A few of their meat-free meals include Caramelize Onion & Goat Cheese Risotto with Roasted Carrots, Cajun Chickpea & Okra Stew with Creole Corn and Brown Jasmine Rice, and Three Bean Vegan Chili with Tofu-Based Crema and Cornbread Casserole.
The Factor vegetarian meals are so good even meat-eaters love them.
Other highlights of Factor Meals include the following–
- New restaurant-quality vegetarian meals to choose from each week
- Flexible subscription meal plan offering 6 to 18 weekly meals plus add-ons like juices and smoothies
- Dietician-designed recipes
- No hormones, antibiotics, GMOs, or refined sugars
- Ships to the contiguous U.S. with mostly recyclable packaging
- Fully prepared meals begin at $11 per serving
Trifecta Nutrition offers vegan and vegetarian meal delivery services. Their vegetarian and vegan prepared meals are both dairy-free and gluten-free and contain some of the same meat-free recipes, but the vegetarian meal options include eggs for breakfast, whereas their vegan meal plan doesn’t.
In addition to Trifecta Nutrition’s weekly meal plans, they also offer a la carte meal prep that can accommodate a vegetarian or vegan diet. If you opt for meal prep, you can do your own custom meal planning and order the pre-cooked vegetables and carbohydrates to build meals yourself.
A sampling of the weekly meals offered on the vegetarian menu includes Egg Frittata with Kale and Tomatoes for breakfast, a Crispy Tofu Skillet with Quinoa for lunch, and Beyond Beef Skillet with Seasonal Vegetables for dinner.
Check out the other top benefits of Trifecta Nutrition below.
- Choose between 1 to 4 plant-based meals per day and 5 or 7 days per week
- Recipes designed and portioned by a team of nutritionists
- Made with organic ingredients
- Low salt, low sugar, low fat, GMO-free, high fiber, and gluten-free meals
- Meals shipped “deep-chilled” for $9.99 to the contiguous U.S. in 98% biodegradable packaging
- The vegetarian plan starts at $99.99 for seven meals per week
Purple Carrot is a vegan meal delivery service offering vegetarian-prepared meals and meal kit delivery.
When it comes to vegetarian meal delivery options, Purple Carrot is one of the most versatile as they also have a ‘Plantry’ where you can add plant-based pantry staples to their vegetarian meal kits or prepared meals.
The Purple Carrot meal kits include the ingredients and step-by-step recipe for healthy meals with two or four servings, like the Crispy Butternut Squash Dumplings, though today we’re going to focus on their premade meals.
Unlike the Purple Carrot meal kit service, which contains multiple servings, the ready-to-eat meals that you just have to warm are only single-serving meals. They only take two minutes or less in the microwave, and there are several rotating options.
Discover a new favorite like the Thai Tofu Nuggets with Quinoa Red Pepper Pilaf and Ginger Butter, Herby Lentils with Romesco and Balsamic Roasted Vegetables, or Tamarind Lentil Dal with Carrot Biryani.
Note: The prepared meals you can order on the Purple Carrot website are delivered fresh and are best enjoyed without freezing, though they have recently released frozen meals available in Whole Foods grocery stores.
Below are the key highlights of Purple Carrot.
- Choose between six, eight, or ten meals per week for the prepared meal delivery.
- ‘Plantry’ to order pantry-staple plant foods
- Gluten-free and high-protein selections
- Attention to GMO-free and organic ingredients, with some exceptions
- Shipping is free with mostly recyclable packaging
- The prepared plant-based meals are $13 per serving.
Sprinly isn’t a frozen vegetarian meal delivery service, though they do offer fresh vegan meals suitable for a vegetarian diet that can be frozen if needed. Though not all of their vegan/vegetarian meals can be frozen, most of them can, which is why we have decided to include them.
Though the menu switches each week, Burmese Lemongrass Noodles, Sesame Crusted Tofu with Garlic Forbidden Rice and Peppers, and Mushroom Lentil Slider with Seasoned Home Fries are just a few examples of the deliciously prepared meals you’ll find.
A few other fantastic benefits of Sprinly include the following–
- Rotating menu of house-made 100% plant-based prepared meals with globally inspired flavors.
- Organic ingredients with no artificial preservatives, refined sugars, or gluten
- Meals are nutritionist and physician-approved
- Get up to 18 meals per week that are ready in under 3 minutes
- Ships free to the contiguous U.S. in recyclable or compostable packaging
- Meals range from $16 to $18 per serving, depending on how many meals per week you order
Daily Harvest is a meal delivery service that may be known for its smoothies, but they offer plenty of more substantial organic food, too.
And it’s all frozen, so you can decide when you want to enjoy one of their vegetarian and vegan-friendly plant-based meals. Though the smoothies require blending, the rest can be heated on the stovetop or in the microwave.
On the Daily Harvest menu, you’ll find favorites like the Mint + Cacao Smoothie, Spinach + Shitake Grits, Artichoke + Spinach Flatbread, and Tomato + Zucchini Minestrone Soup.
Below are the key benefits of the vegan meal delivery services provided by Daily Harvest.
- Choose between 9,14, and 24 items per box and whether you want weekly or monthly delivery.
- More than 80 chef-crafted menu selections for any time of day
- Always gluten-free and dairy-free with no artificial fillers, gums, or preservatives
- Ships free to most of the continental U.S.
- Ranges from $5.99 to $11.99 per item
Bonus: Green Chef
Green Chef isn’t a frozen meal option nor completely vegetarian, but hear us out. Green Chef offers meal kits with a new menu each week.
They have several vegan and vegetarian menu offerings every time that are easy to make and absolutely delicious. For instance, doesn’t a Roasted Butternut Squash Couscous Bowl, Sweet and Spicy Cauliflower Bowl, or Creamy Farfalle Pesto Bowl sound amazing?!
Green Chef is also USDA-certified organic, so they’ll never use any ingredient that isn’t completely “clean.” For those feeding a family who doesn’t mind cooking, the Green Chef meal kits are an excellent option.
Here are a few other benefits of Green Chef as well.
- Select a vegetarian or vegan plan for 2, 4, or 6 people and 3 or 4 meals per week
- Strong focus on locally-sourced, organic ingredients and sustainability
- Plenty of dairy-free and gluten-free meals
- Most recipes can be prepared in under 30 minutes
- Ships for $8.99 to the continental United States
- Meals begin at $11.99 per serving
Frozen Vegetarian Meal Delivery Buyers Guide
When it comes to frozen vegetarian meal delivery services, there are a few considerations to think about before making your final choice.
Additional Dietary Preferences
Though all of these meal delivery services offer vegan or vegetarian meals to meet your plant-focused lifestyle, you’ll want to consider any other dietary preferences you may have.
For instance, if you prefer to eat organic, gluten-free, and healthy meals, you should ensure the vegetarian meal delivery service you choose has plenty of gluten-free options and primarily focuses on sourcing organic ingredients. In this case, Trifecta Nutrition may be the best meal service for you.
Variety & Available Options
Not every vegetarian and vegan meal delivery service has a wide variety of menu choices. For instance, with Factor meals, you may only get a choice between three plant-based meals per week. On the other hand, Splendid Spoon and Mosaic have extensive, entirely plant-based menus. Variety is the spice of life, so choose a vegetarian meal delivery service wisely based on its menu variety.
Subscription vs. A La Carte
Vegetarian meal delivery services often are set up either through a weekly subscription plan with a pre-selected amount of meals per week or through an a la carte system where you pick and choose what and when you want meals delivered.
Getting weekly meals through a subscription is fantastic for those who want to use a meal service to completely replace at least two meals per week; however, a la carte is better for individuals who just want the option of quick, healthy meals here and there when they get busy.
Unfortunately, not every meal service has sustainable packaging. If this is important to you, make sure you carefully review each company’s packaging to verify it aligns with your values.
On this list, Splendid Spoon, Sprinly, Trifecta Nutrition, and Mosaic have the most sustainable packaging.
Number of Servings
Frozen vegetarian meal delivery services offer mostly single-serving meals; however, there are a few that have family sizes that will feed up to four.
If you are looking to feed the whole family, you can still get single-serving meals and choose a larger box to accommodate that, but meal kits like those from Purple Carrot or Green Chef or the oven-ready family meals from Mosaic are often more cost-effective per serving.
We all have a budget, even if some are a little tighter than others, so always ensure that the meal service you choose fits within what you can afford. Don’t forget to look at the per-serving price and add in any shipping costs.
Also, keep in mind that many companies offer discounts if you order larger volumes, so you may be able to cut costs by ordering more at a time.
Individuals who have embraced the vegetarian or vegan lifestyle for a while have likely had tons of meals that were thrown together just for accommodation and weren’t truly satisfying. When it comes to choosing a meal service, you definitely don’t want that!
Factor Meals won our title of the best tasting, though we’ve only included companies that have nailed the art of pairing flavors. However, you’ll still want to make your decision based on your individual taste preferences.
For example, companies like Purple Carrot and Sprinly focus heavily on global flavors, which aren’t for everyone. Those with more comfort food cravings would like Mosaic and Trifecta Nutrition more.
Depending on the meal service, you may need to use a blender, stovetop, or oven to prepare your meals. A meal kit will even have you follow an entire recipe. Others only require a few minutes in the microwave.
Think about the amount of time you want to spend preparing your meals, then ensure the service you choose falls into that range. Otherwise, it just becomes a hassle in your life!
Ultimately, frozen vegetarian meal delivery services are a convenient way to eat healthy, plant-based meals when you are on the go. It also takes the guesswork out of meal planning.
Splendid Spoon came in as our overall winner due to their commitment to sustainability, wide menu variety, high quality, and affordability.
Mosaic Foods is a top choice for families due to offering kid-friendly recipes and more than just single-serving meals.
If you prioritize the best taste possible, Factor Meals ranks number one in our book with their restaurant-quality chef-crafted recipes.
There are many options, though you’ll always want to ensure you go with the company that best meets your individual needs and values.