For most of us, losing weight isn’t easy. If only it came off as easily as it came on, but unfortunately, this isn’t the reality. One of the biggest challenges people face when following a weight loss plan is finding meals that are enjoyable, satisfying, and hassle-free.
Weight loss meal delivery services can help you with this challenge, but there are so many out there, it becomes hard to choose. Which meal delivery service will help you achieve your weight loss goals? Here is a rundown of some of the most popular services.
There is no one size fits all approach to weight loss, which makes it challenging to discover the exact plan that will work for you. Some weight loss meal delivery services offer a singular plan and approach, which isn’t going to work for every person wanting to shed pounds. BistroMD is different.
BistroMD offers many different program options, including separate plans for men and women which can be further customized to meet your needs. You also have the support of registered dieticians to help guide your weight loss journey.
BistroMD wins the top spot for their many great reviews, along with a few other reasons.
- Incredible variety with 150 different meal options
- Supports traditional weight loss programs, without gimmicks
- Free and easy access to support from registered dieticians
- Heat and eat meals are fast and simple to prepare (although they come frozen, not fresh)
- Variety of individualized plans, including gluten-free, heart-healthy, menopause, and diabetic
Mamasezz is one of the leading whole food, plant-based meal delivery services in the United States. Their premise isn’t built around weight loss per se, but rather supporting a healthy lifestyle through delicious, nutritional, and easy meals.
A lot of other weight loss meal delivery services offer limited vegan selections, and this is where Mamasezz stands out. Those following a vegan lifestyle will be pleased with the variety of plant-based, vegan options, as well as the taste and quality of each dish.
- Free shipping for bundles (except to Hawaii and Alaska) but shipping prices vary for a la carte selections based on location and order total
- Limited customization, but Mamasezz does offer two substitutions per bundle
- All meals are gluten-free and dairy-free with zero preservatives
- Bundles offer the most economical option
- Mamasezz has excellent user reviews across the board
Adding meal replacements, such as shakes and bars, to your diet can be an effective way of keeping your weight loss goals on track. If you’ve ever tasted a meal replacement shake, you already know they’re not all created equal. Taste, texture, and nutritional content is important and Diet Direct is a weight loss meal delivery service that follows through on all three.
While Diet Direct does offer some whole meals and desserts, their focus is on meal replacement shakes, bars, and snacks. According to reviews, their quality is top-notch, leaving users satisfied. With three separate plans to choose from Diet-To-Go also offers one of the most economical meal replacement options.
- Three different tiered subscriptions to meet your needs
- Offers mostly shakes, bars, drinks, and snacks for meal replacement, although some meals and desserts are available
- Excellent reviews for taste, quality, and customer service
- Caters to special diets, including low sodium, diabetic, and products designed for individuals who have had bariatric surgery
- Specialized plan for the increased nutritional needs of nursing mothers who are focusing on postpartum health and safe weight loss
The Diet-To-Go website claims that its Balance program has been helping people reach their weight loss goals for 25 years. Obviously, they’re doing something right. The premise here is simple. Provide people with healthy, balanced meals made from real food to help them reach their weight loss and healthy lifestyle goals.
- Several dietary meal plans, including the popular Balance program, along with keto, vegetarian, and diabetic meal programs
- Meals plans provide 2 to 3 meals per day
- Resources and support from their team of registered dieticians, nutritionist, and certified health coaches
- Solid user reviews, except for a few less than stellar reviews for their Keto program option
For many people, the mention of “meal delivery service” immediately brings Blue Apron to mind. As one of the most popular meal delivery options today, it’s easy to find all sorts of information and reviews about Blue Apron.
Blue Apron focuses on delicious meals created with a healthy nutritional balance. While not specifically a weight loss meal delivery service, Blue Apron does offer a selection of Weight Watchers meals each week.
- Meal options feature tags such as carb-conscious and Weight Watchers friendly (500 calories or less) to simplify menu choices
- Vegetarian and diabetic options available
- Fresh food, requires some food prep
- Mixed reviews, with complaints regarding customer service and bland food
Fresh n Lean
One of Fresh N Lean’s strong points is that they offer meal plans for an impressive range of healthy eating lifestyles. They offer plans for trending eating plans, including Paleo and Keto, as well as two separate vegan options (standard and low carb).
If you’re looking for a weight loss meal delivery service that allows you to click and option and be done with, Fresh N Lean is a simple, streamlined service that’s easy to use.
- Limited customization but you can choose up to 3 ingredients to exclude from your menu
- Gluten-free kitchen, and the option to note additional food allergies and sensitivities you want to avoid
- Heat and eat meals for breakfast, lunch, and dinner
- Reviews lead you to believe there are some inconsistencies with the quality
- Free Shipping
Veestro is a vegan-friendly, weight loss meal delivery service that offers meal plans built around a 1,200 calorie a day menu. For those trying to lose weight, but are tired of the gimmicky, processed “diet” foods, Veestro offers a wholesome, plant-based option for meeting dietary goals.
- The Weight Loss program provides 3 meals per day, with 5 or 7-day options
- Plant-based, organic ingredients that are free of preservatives
- Shipping is free with auto-deliveries
- Some reviewers claim that Veestro’s meals are a little bland
Trifecta Nutrition is a science-backed weight loss meal delivery service that’s designed to help you reach your weight loss and healthy eating goals, regardless of which dietary plan you’re following.
Meals plans are carefully designed, using organic and sustainable ingredients whenever possible. Trifecta offers plans for some of today’s most popular dietary programs.
- Specialized plans for Keto, Paleo, clean eating, vegetarian, and vegan diets
- While meals are heat and eat, Trifecta Nutrition offers additional prep instructions to optimize flavor and texture
- Premium subscribers have access to the Trifecta App
- Choose from a specialized meal plan or a la carte options
- Limited options for customization within meal plans
Nutrisystem is another company that benefits from brand recognition. Many people who have researched weight loss plans are familiar with the Nutrisystem name. To complement their weight loss plan, Nutrisystem offers a meal delivery service with 4-week plans that include up to 6 nutritionally balanced meals per day.
- Three separate plan options with varying degrees of customization
- Diabetic, vegetarian, men’s, and Uniquely Yours plan options
- More than 100 meal options to choose from
- Offers a combination of fresh and frozen options
- Less than stellar reviews for customer service and overall quality
Medifast is a company that promotes a medical, science-backed approach to weight loss. They employ a scientific advisory board that reviews Medifast menus for nutritional balance and weight loss supporting effectiveness.
- Specialized plans for gluten-free diets, diabetics, vegetarian lifestyles, nursing mothers, and seniors over the age of 65
- Mixed reviews for quality and customer service
- Limited meal options in each plan
- Plans include a mixture of shakes, bars and 1 standard meal per day
- Option to connect with a nutritional coach
South Beach Diet
The South Beach Diet weight loss meal delivery service is designed to complement the popular dietary eating plan by the same name. The South Beach Diet is a keto-friendly program that boasts the ability to transform your metabolism into a fat-burning machine.
The South Beach Diet meal service is really best suited for those who religiously follow the diet. It can be somewhat limiting for followers of the keto lifestyle who have zero interest in processed food.
- Keto-friendly meal plans, but limited for those that follow a vegan lifestyle or have special dietary needs
- 4 plans to choose from, including a 1-week body reboot
- Special diabetic plan, although it costs more than their base Silver plan
- Poor user reviews for taste, quality, and presentation of food
Of course, when you put the effort into any weight loss plan, you want to be successful. Weight loss meal delivery services can help you stay focused on your goals by providing you with tasty, nutritious, and balanced meals that take the stress and pressure off of meal prep.
With so many of these types of services out there, it can be hard to choose. Here are a few key points to consider when choosing the best meal delivery service for your healthy goals.
Weight Loss Program Specific
If you’ve found a weight loss program that works for you, one of the most important details to consider is if the meal delivery service caters to your specific plan. Some services, like the South Beach Diet, are focused very specifically on one diet, while others offer more variety and versatility.
For example, BistroMD and Trifecta Nutrition both offer a range of plans to meet special dietary needs while supporting weight loss. If you follow a special diet, whether it’s keto, paleo, low fat, or for a specific health condition, make sure you take the time to carefully review each service’s menu options and plans.
Success stories are great for inspiring to keep you focused on your goals. It’s super helpful when a weight loss meal delivery service provides some of these stories right on their site so you don’t have to go on a hunt to find them. For an example of what we’re talking about, check out the personal success stories from BistroMD.
Heat and Eat Vs Meal Prep
How busy are you, and what level of convenience are you looking for from your weight loss meal delivery service? Most companies offer meals that are either heat and eat or those that require prep. Very few offer both.
Many of the services on this list are heat and eat only. One exception is Blue Apron which delivers prepped ingredients to your doorstep that require a little time in the kitchen but taste fresher than frozen, pre-packaged meals.
Fresh Vs Frozen
The next question you need to ask yourself is how important fresh vs frozen is to you. For those companies that get top reviews for taste and quality, even their frozen meals seem to please, although fresh is generally better where taste is concerned.
Veestro is an example of a frozen meal service where the quality remains solid but users claim the taste is a little bland. BistroMD is also frozen but gets high marks for taste and quality across the board.
Meal Variety & Taste
Finally, one of the biggest challenges of sticking to any weight loss plan is boredom. If you’re looking for a couple of week’s worth of meals to help you lose just a few pounds, then variety might not be an issue. If you’re in it for the long haul, then variety and taste are crucial.
BistroMD, with over 150 meal options, is great for variety, as is Diet Direct which offers a variety of snacks and drinks to banish some of the typical meal boredom and fatigue that can set in.
What’s the bottom line? The weight loss meal delivery service that’s best for you depends on your weight loss goals and your dietary preferences. The ones listed here, like BistroMD, Mamasezz, and Diet Direct, are great first options to consider.
Losing weight takes determination and stamina. The best weight loss meal delivery service can be a great partner in helping you achieve and maintain your weight loss goals.