Several diets have come to the market in the last 20-50 years, all designed for weight loss and various health benefits. One of these diets is the Zone Diet, developed by Dr. Barry Spears about 30 years ago. The purpose is to reduce dietary inflammation to improve mental and physical health by restoring damaged tissues caused by inflammation.
The “zone” in the Zone Diet is the state of your body as measured by specific clinical tests. These tests include a person’s TG/HDL ratio, which measures insulin resistance in the liver, AA/EPA ratio, which is the quantitative level of diet-induced inflammation in your body, and HbA1cC, the level of end products tied to your blood glucose.
When all of these clinical tests come back within the ideal range set by Dr. Barry Spears, your body is in the perfect range for minimizing inflammation from your diet.
So, after all of those complicated parameters, how do you get there? The key aspects to the Zone Diet include lean proteins as one-third of your plate, two-thirds of your plate being vegetables, some fruit avoiding starchy vegetables like potatoes and corn, and sugary fruits like raisins and bananas. The final bit of your plate should include monounsaturated fats like almonds or olive oil.
The Zone Diet is a bit complicated, but meal delivery services make it easy to eat within the guidelines. Here are some of the best Zone Diet services for meal delivery, including Bistro MD, which we have crowned our winner for their in-house dietitians and experience with weight loss.
Bistro MD is one of the leaders in diet meal delivery services. The Zone Diet is one of those that Bistro MD can help with. Here are some of the benefits of using Bistro MD:
- Prepared meals perfectly balanced for you
- In-house dietitians to ensure your meals fall within the zone
- Weight loss resources like a blog to reference
- Environmentally friendly packaging
- Individually portioned entrees
- Plans as low as $97.46 for 10 entrees
Zone Healthy offers a Zone-friendly menu through their meal plan that they call Healthy Nutrition, which focuses on lean meats, fresh fruits, and vegetables, with all other foods in moderation. Other key benefits to using Zone Healthy include:
- Fresh, all-natural, locally sourced ingredients
- Chef-crafted continually changing menu
- Customize your plan to account for allergies and your schedule
- Customer service department for any dietary concerns
- Ability to upgrade to larger portions
- Pricing varies depending on your customizations
Metabolic Meals doesn’t have a meal plan specifically for the Zone Diet, but it does have two other ways to fit into your parameters. You can either choose their low-carb meals, which have lean proteins with vegetables and a bit of fat, or you can build your own meal from their options of proteins and sides. Other benefits of Metabolic Meals include:
- Several gluten-free selections
- Grass-fed proteins, organic ingredients made from scratch
- The chefs work closely with nutritionists
- Menus change weekly and on a seasonal basis
- A choice between Fit portions which are about 360 calories each, and Performance portions which average 575 calories
- Prices vary depending on selections, number of meals, and location
Fresh Meal Plan offers five different diet menus, but their lean and mean follows the principles of the diet with large portions of lean meals, minimal whole grains, and just a few healthy fats. Here are some benefits to go with Fresh Meal Plan:
- Most dishes are under 400 calories
- You can also order proteins and sides in bulk to design your own Zone meals
- Freshly prepared meals to skip weekly that fit your lifestyle or order a la carte
- Ready in about 3 minutes in the microwave
- Option to get extra protein on any dish
- Servings start at $9.99 when you order 14 meals per week
Trifecta Nutrition has a lot of options when it comes to diet meal plans. However, since they are so open with their macronutrients, it is very easy to find options that fit within the Zone Diet. Their a la carte option especially is easy because you pick the meats, veggies, and carbs. Other key benefits of Trifecta Nutrition include:
Benefits of Trifecta
- Organic, sustainable, and local ingredients where possible
- Made from scratch prepared meals ready in minutes
- Green packaging with an eco-friendly distribution chain
- All meals are gluten-free and peanut-free, with dairy-free and soy-free options
- Meals last 6-10 days in the fridge, but over 3 months in the freezer
- Meal plans as low as $90.93 per week
Zone Diet Meal Services Buyer’s Guide
Everyone has different needs when it comes to getting meals delivered. Here are some considerations to think about when choosing the best company for you.
We all lead different lives, and if you are trying to lose weight, it looks different for everyone. Customization is the key to getting exactly what you need and want. Ensure that you go with a company that you can choose the number of meals, the type of food, and more. Whether you want three meals a day or just a few per week, choose a service that will work for you.
Budgets apply to everything. Losing weight can cost money as diet plans tend to be more expensive. However, there are still several options at different price points that can fit within your budget. Many companies give discounts the more you order, too, so keep that in mind.
Meals Designed For You vs. DIY
There are also two ways that you can choose your meal prep delivery- designed for you or DIY.
The first way is where the dishes are designed for you, meaning that a chef plans the protein and sides, and then you pick which ones you like.
The other way is to design them yourself by choosing from a list of different proteins and sides then combining them to create your own meal that gets delivered.
Each way is good for different people, but one of the benefits of the DIY way is that you can stick closely to the Zone Diet even if they don’t offer a specific plan for it.
Many companies allow you to choose between smaller and larger portions. This is a great benefit when talking about portion control because everyone has different needs when it comes to portions. Always double-check and make sure that the company you choose has portions that are perfect for you.
Zone Diet Meals Delivered
Getting your favorite foods to arrive at your doorstep is one of the best benefits of having Zone meals delivered fresh. However, whether your goal is to lose weight or just focus on eating healthier, the Zone Diet can help. When you combine the two, you truly create a system that works. Choose your company and get your first delivery ordered today.